Featured image of Inverallochy Castle

The History of Inverallochy Castle

Inverallochy Castle is a lovely ruin situated near the village of Inverallochy in the Buchan area of northeast Scotland. It lies roughly 0.5 miles south of Cairnbulg Castle which is near Fraserburgh. It was once described by W. Douglas Simpson as one of the nine castles of the Knuckle, referring to the rocky headland of northeast Aberdeenshire.

The history of Inverallochy Castle

The ruins of Inverallochy Castle are arranged around three sides of a large courtyard consisting of a curtain wall across the south side. A beautiful tower in the northeast tower still remains at its full height while the remaining curtain wall stands around ten metres high. Unfortunately, the internal walls are as good as gone.

Nowadays, the ruins are protected as scheduled monuments.

The early history

It is thought that the castle was built all at once as opposed to throughout time. Architectural evidence suggests that it was sometime during the early 16th century. It could perhaps be the work of Sir William Comyn of Inverallochy who was also named Lord Lyon from 1512 to 1519.

Later on

There was a stone inserted above the entrance until the late 18th century that had the sculptured arms of the Comyns. It had an inscription “recording that the estate around it was obtained by Jordan Comyn for building the abbey of Deer”.

The current day

Nowadays, Inverallochy Castle can clearly be seen from the B9033 south of Fraserburgh within a fenced enclosure in the middle of a field. There is no obvious access to the castle now, although it is possible to walk across the field to get to the enclosure.

Inverallochy Castle Timeline

  • 1512 to 1519- Sir William Comyn of Inverallochy is named Lord Lyon
  • 16th century- The castle is built
  • 18th century- A stone above the entrance has an inscription “recording that the estate around it was obtained by Jordan Comyn for building the abbey of Deer”.

Inverallochy Castle facts

  • Evidence of a larger outer courtyard measuring approximately 60 metres (200 ft) square to the north and east of Inverallochy Castle remains
  • The ruins are protected as a scheduled monument.
  •  Until the late 18th century, there was a stone inserted above the entrance, bearing the sculptured arms of the Comyns, with an inscription “recording that the estate around it was obtained by Jordan Comyn for building the abbey of Deer
  • The internal walls of the castle have largely collapsed
  • It was once described by W. Douglas Simpson as one of the nine castles of the Knuckle, referring to the rocky headland of northeast Aberdeenshire

Tourism

Nowadays, it is unknown whether or not you can visit the castle. Inverallochy Castle can easily be seen from the B9033 south of Fraserburgh within a fenced enclosure in the middle of a field. There is no obvious access to the castle now, although it is possible to walk across the field to get to the enclosure. Nearby, you can visit Craigievar Castle, Drum Castle, Fraserburgh Heritage Centre, Fraserburgh Beach, Pitsligo Castle, and Cairnbulg Beach.

Rate the Castle

Click on a star to rate it!

Average rating 0 / 5. Vote count: 0

No votes so far! Be the first to rate this post.

As you found this post useful...

Follow us on social media!

Leave a Reply