Featured image of Terpersie Castle

The History of Terpersie Castle

Up until around 20 years ago, Terpersie Castle was in complete ruin. Known originally as Dalpersie Castle, it is a small and modest building that now stands as a glorious Z-plan castle. It consists of an oblong main block with round towers at diagonally opposite corners.

The walls rise to sit around two storeys high, and the upper floor is easily reached via a spiral stair in a turret.

The history of Terpersie Castle

Terpersie Castle is a lovely tower house situated in Aberdeenshire roughly three miles northwest of Alford in a glen that penetrates the Correen Hills from the east, behind the buildings of the farm that replaced it. Nowadays, it is listed as a category A listed building.

The early history

Terpersie Castle was built as a small Z-plan manor house in 1561 by the Gordon family. On May 16th, 1646, Major Baillie on campaign against Montrose, burnt the house and plundered and destroyed the surrounding area before the arrival of Lord Balcarres. In 1665, it was completely restored after having been burnt down.

Later on

The Gordon family owner who owned it in 1745 is said to have been the last person ever to be executed for participating in the Jacobite Rebellion. A recess within the upper part of the roof is said to be the spot where he was captured.

After 1885, Terpersie Castle was abandoned and stood in ruins for most of the 20th century.

The current day

Sometime in the 1980s, the castle was completely restored into a residence by architects William Cowie Partnership.

A glimpse of the pink harled walls of Terpersie Castle from the adjacent farm track.
Terpersie Castle“, by Anne Burgess, is licensed under CC BY-SA 2.0

Terpersie Castle Timeline

  • 1561-Terpersie Castle is built as a small Z-plan manor house by the Gordon family
  • 1646- Major Baillie on campaign against Montrose, burns the house, plunders, and destroys the surrounding area before the arrival of Lord Balcarres
  • 1665- The castle is completely restored after having been burnt down
  • 1885- Terpersie Castle is abandoned and stands in ruins for most of the 20th century
  • 1980s- The castle is completely restored into a residence by architects William Cowie Partnership

Terpersie Castle facts

  • The main block of Terpersie measures around 8.5 by 5.5 metres (28 by 18 ft)
  • The two round towers at the castle measure 5.2 metres (17 ft) in diameter
  • Terpersie Castle is protected as a category A listed building
  • The castle was rebuilt twice during its time
  • The castle was once burnt down

Tourism

Due to the castle being a private residence, there are only certain times you can visit it. This is usually for charity or some sort of fundraiser. Nearby, you can visit Slains Castle, Fyvie Castle, Dunnotar Castle, The Gordon Highlanders Museum, Johnston Gardens, River North Esk, and Loch Muick.

Rate the Castle

Click on a star to rate it!

Average rating 0 / 5. Vote count: 0

No votes so far! Be the first to rate this post.

As you found this post useful...

Follow us on social media!

Leave a Reply