Barjarg Tower is situated in Auldgirth in Dumfries and Galloway, Scotland. The very original tower house dates back to around the 16th century while the rest of the tower has had many additions throughout time. The gardens have also undergone significant developments over the years, though the carpets of snowdrops in the surrounding woods remain a tribute to the care of earlier generations.
The history of Barjarg Tower
Barjarg Tower is built in a common L-plan shape four miles southeast of Penpont, Dumfries and Galloway, Scotland. It lies on a gentle slope surrounded by the evergreen views of the surrounding Lowther Hills. Compared to other castles, it has an incredibly vague and short history.
The early history
In 1587, it appears that the land on which Barjarg Tower sits was given to Thomas Grierson by the Earl of Morton. It was his son, John Grierson, and his wife Grizel Kilpatrick who built the tower, likely in 1680.
Afterwards, the tower house passed by marriage, to Charles Erskine, Esq, an advocate, who rose to the bench and took the title of Lord Tinwald.
Later on, Barjarg Tower was subsequently purchased by Dr Hunter, professor of divinity at Edinburgh University.
The current day
There is very little history known about this tower house. Nowadays, it belongs to W. Francis Hunter-Arundell, owner of 1947 acres in the shire, valued at £1689 per annum. The mansion, Barjarg Tower, stands amid finely planted grounds. It remains in fantastic condition.
However, it is not open to the public as it is a private residence.
Barjarg Tower Timeline
- 1587- The land on which Barjarg Tower sits is given to Thomas Grierson by the Earl of Morton
- 1680- Thomas Grierson’s son, John Grierson and his wife Grizel Kilpatrick built the tower
Barjarg Tower facts
- Barjarg Tower has a crenellated parapet, which may be a later addition
- The tower has one open round turret at one corner and two conically capped turrets at two others
- The tower has four storeys and an attic
- Barjarg Tower is built of red rubble
Who owns Barjarg Tower?
Nowadays, the tower belongs to W. Francis Hunter-Arundell, owner of 1947 acres in the shire, valued at £1689 per annum. The mansion, Barjarg Tower, stands amid finely planted grounds. It remains in fantastic condition.
It is a private residence so public access is not permitted.
It is very rare that Barjarg Tower opens to the public. It is only during charity events that the grounds open to raise money. However, it is usually only the gardens that open, not the tower. Nearby, you can visit Drumlanrig Castle, Kenmure Castle, Dumfries Museum, Gracefield Arts Centre, Morton Castle, and Robert Burns Ellisland Farm.