Denmylne Castle is a stunning ruined 16th-century tower house situated around one mile southeast of Newburgh, Fife, Scotland, and 1 mile northwest of Lindores Loch. Alternatively, it has been known as Den Miln Castle. Nowadays, it is classified as a scheduled monument.
The history of Denmylne Castle
Denmylne Castle is very well-known for its tower as it is often described as having an unusual cruciform plan. However, it is mainly a dominant T-plan tower house with an additional extension that was been built to one side. Even though it has a limited history, there is still so much worth knowing about this lovely castle.
The early history
From 1452 to 1710, the Balfours owned the property on which the castle now lies. It was in 1460 that James Balfour of Denmylne passed away during the siege of Roxburgh Castle, while John, his son, was killed in the battle of Flodden in 1513.
The castle was built in the late 16th century.
In 1617, Sir Michael Balfour of Denmylne’s watermills were targeted by armed vandals who went forth and completely demolished the dam on Auld Lindores Loch. The flood that ensued soon after broke the axles and wheels of all of the mills and it almost demolished the buildings as well.
All of the mill lades were filled up with vast amounts of red mud, as was a nearby house named Burnside belonging to John Leslie, 6th Earl of Rothes. Sir James Balfour, 1st Baronet of Denmilne and Kinnaird was then appointed Lord Lyon King of Arms in 1639 (according to Coventry).
He went forth and compiled an important collection of Scottish historical manuscripts. He also officiated at the coronations of both Charles I and Charles II. His brother Sir Andrew Balfour was the founder of the first Edinburgh Botanic Garden.
The current day
Nowadays, Denmylne Castle has been left to become completely ruinous. It is possible to view it from the roadside. However, you can no longer walk around as it lies within a private garden.
Denmylne Castle Timeline
- 1452 to 1710- The Balfours own the property on which the castle now lies
- 1460- James Balfour of Denmylne passes away during the siege of Roxburgh Castle
- 1513- John, James’ son, is killed in the battle of Flodden
- 1617- Sir Michael Balfour of Denmylne’s watermills are targeted by man armed vandals which went forth and completely demolished the dam on Auld Lindores Loch
- 1639-Sir James Balfour, 1st Baronet of Denmilne and Kinnaird is appointed Lord Lyon King of Arms (according to Coventry)
Denmylne Castle facts
- The main block of the castle is 41.5 feet (12.6 m) by 24 feet (7.3 m)
- The tower house is cross-shaped, comprising a main block, a stair-tower projecting centrally, and a matching small rectangular tower
- There are large windows at the castle
- Denmylne Castle is now a scheduled monument
- Denmylne Castle is often known alternatively as Den Miln Castle
Who owns Denmylne Castle?
Today, Denmylne Castle is privately owned and in a very poor state of repair with a tree growing in the middle.
Nowadays, Denmylne Castle is in a complete state of disrepair and privately owned. Access to the site is not permitted due to it being a private residence. However, nearby, you can visit St Andrews Castle, Ayton Castle, Mugdrum Island, Elcho Castle, Laing Museum, Lindores Loch, and Ballinbreich Castle.