Medieval Board Games have been around for centuries and have always been a great way to bring people together. They not only provide entertainment but also allow players to exercise their strategic thinking and decision-making skills. So, put your phones away and try your hand at some Medieval Board Games! Sit with friends and family to build empires in the Small World of Warcraft or rule the Seven Kingdoms in Monopoly Game of Thrones.
|Gloomhaven||Fantasy adventure||Cooperative fantasy adventure board game||12+||1‑4||$$$$||★★★★★|
|The Lord of the Ring Journeys in Middle-Earth Board Game||Fantasy journey||Cooperative adventure board game||14+||1‑5||$$$$||★★★★☆|
|Plunder – A Pirate’s Life Strategy Board Game||Pirate adventure||Strategy board game||12+||2‑6||$$$$||★★★★☆|
|Small World of Warcraft Board Game||Fantasy world||Fantasy area control board game||10+||2-5||$$$$||★★★☆☆|
|Carcassonne Big Box Medieval Board Game (2022 Edition)||Medieval||Tile-laying board game||8+||2-6||$$$$||★★★★★|
|Monopoly Game of Thrones Board Game||TV adaptation||Board game based on the popular TV series||18+||6||$$$$||★★★★☆|
|The Metal Chess Set with Deluxe Wood Board & Storage||Classic strategy||Classic two-player strategy game||8+||2||$$$$||★★★★★|
|7 Wonders Duel Board Game||Civilization building||Strategy card game for two players||10+||2||$$$$||★★☆☆☆|
|Settlers of Catan||Medieval||Strategy|
11 Best Medieval Board Games
To help you get started, we have curated a list of the 8 best Medieval Board Games that will surely provide hours of entertainment:
Gloomhaven is a cooperative board game that can be played solo or with up to four players. In this game, you and your party of adventurers take on dangerous missions in a fantasy world full of monsters and treasure. Gloomhaven’s story evolves as you play, and your decisions and actions in one mission can have consequences in future missions. Each player has a unique deck of cards that they use to select their moves for each turn. The cards have different abilities and can be combined to create powerful combos.
- Benefits & Enjoyment: It offers a lot of replayability. There are dozens of missions, each with its objectives and challenges.
- Drawback: It can be quite complex and overwhelming for new players. The rulebook is quite long, and the gameplay mechanics take some time to master.
2) The Lord of the Ring Journeys in Middle-Earth Board Game
“The Lord of the Rings Journeys in Middle-Earth” is a cooperative adventure board game that allows 1-5 players to immerse themselves in the world of Middle-Earth. The game features stunning artwork and unique gameplay mechanics that keep players engaged throughout the journey. One of the special features of this game is the use of a companion app, which acts as a guide and game master, providing players with quests, maps, and audio narration.
- Benefits & Enjoyment: The benefits of this game are its immersive gameplay and attention to detail in its recreation of the world of the Middle-Earth.
- Drawback: The game’s length and complexity are overwhelming, and the need for a smartphone or tablet to use the app may be a drawback for some.
3) Plunder – A Pirate’s Life Strategy Medieval Board Game
Plunder: A Pirate’s Life is a swashbuckling strategy medieval board game where players take on the roles of pirates vying for treasure and fame. The game can be played with 2-6 players and is suitable for ages 13 and up. One of the unique features of Plunder is its modular game board, which can be rearranged to create a new playing field each time the game is played. This adds an element of replayability and keeps the game fresh and exciting.
- Benefits & Enjoyment: The modular game board and varied gameplay mechanics add replayability and strategic depth that keeps players returning for more.
- Drawback: It is too complex for younger players or those new to strategy games.
4) Small World of Warcraft Board Game
Small World of Warcraft is a medieval board game that combines the popular video game franchise with the classic Small World game mechanics. The game allows players to choose different races and unique powers to conquer and control territories on a board map inspired by the World of Warcraft universe.
- Benefits & Enjoyment: It’s engaging and creative gameplay mechanics and high replay value.
- Drawback: Drawbacks include a steep learning curve for new players and the game’s relatively high price point compared to other board games.
5) Carcassonne Big Box Medieval Board Game (2022 Edition)
Carcassonne Big Box is a tile-based game that takes players through the medieval city of Carcassonne in France. The game includes many tiles, allowing players to create their unique game board each time they play. Key features of this game include the ability to place meeples on tiles to claim territory and score points and the use of strategy to block opponents from completing their structures. One unique element is the inclusion of mini-expansions, which add new gameplay mechanics and keep the game fresh and exciting.
- Benefits & Enjoyment: The benefits of Carcassonne Big Box include its replayability and the fact that players of all ages and skill levels can enjoy it. It’s also an excellent game for families to play together.
- Drawback: The medieval board game can be a bit complicated to learn at first, and it may take a few playthroughs before players fully understand all the rules and strategies.
6) Monopoly Game of Thrones Board Game
Monopoly Game of Thrones Board Game is a version of the classic Monopoly game themed around the popular HBO series, Game of Thrones. The game features unique elements and gameplay mechanics, making it a must-have for any show fan. One of this game’s unique features is that players can choose to play as one of the six iconic house tokens, such as the Stark dire wolf or the Targaryen dragon. These tokens have unique abilities to help players gain an advantage over their opponents. The gameplay mechanics of this version of Monopoly also differ from the classic game. For example, instead of buying properties, players can conquer and hold territories and build and upgrade their castles. Additionally, “Iron Throne” and “Valar Morghulis” cards can drastically affect the game’s outcome.
- Benefits & Enjoyment: The game offers a unique and exciting twist on the classic Monopoly game. It also appeals to fans of the Game of Thrones series and provides a fun way to engage with the show’s lore and characters.
- Drawback: This game can be quite complicated and overwhelming for those unfamiliar with the show’s world.
7) The Metal Chess Set with Deluxe Wood Board & Storage
It is a stylish, durable chess set combining classic games and modern materials. The set features metal chess pieces with intricate details that stand out from traditional wooden sets. The pieces are stored in a velvet-lined compartment beneath the board, made of high-quality wood with a sleek and polished finish. The weight and texture of the pieces can make them easier to maneuver and add an element of strategy to gameplay. The high-quality wood board and storage compartment make it easy to transport and play anywhere, making it an excellent choice for players who want to take their game on the go.
- Benefits & Enjoyment: The benefits of this game include its durability and convenience, as well as the satisfying tactile experience it provides.
- Drawback: However, the only drawback is that the set may be more expensive than other options on the market.
8) 7 Wonders Duel Board Game
7 Wonders Duel is a two-player board game that lets you compete against your opponent to build the greatest civilization. The game has a unique drafting system, where players take turns choosing cards from a pyramid-shaped layout to add to their civilization. One of the most exciting features of 7 Wonders Duel is how the game progresses through three ages.
- Benefits & Enjoyment: The game is easy to learn and offers plenty of advanced tactics and planning opportunities. Plus, the artwork and components are top-notch and add to the immersive experience.
- Drawback: The card drafting process can often frustrate some players. Also, the game can feel a bit repetitive after multiple playthroughs, as the same strategies tend to work well. However, these drawbacks are minor compared to the overall enjoyment that the game provides.
9) Settlers of Catan
Settlers of Catan is a classic board game that has captivated players worldwide since its release in 1995. In this game, players take on the roles of settlers on the island of Catan, working to build and develop their settlements and cities. The game board is composed of hexagonal tiles representing different types of terrain, each producing specific resources like wood, brick, wheat, sheep, and more.
- Benefits & Enjoyment – One of the main benefits of Settlers of Catan is its simplicity. The rules are easy to learn, making it accessible for players of all ages and experience levels. The game also encourages negotiation and trade, adding an interactive and social aspect to gameplay. Additionally, the modular board ensures that each game is unique, enhancing replayability.
- Drawback – While Settlers of Catan is known for its accessibility, it can still be overwhelming for some new players. Understanding the optimal strategies and negotiating effectively may take a few plays.
10) Last Bastion
Last Bastion is a cooperative tower defence board game set in a fantasy world besieged by hordes of monsters. In this game, players must work together to defend the last stronghold of humanity, represented by the bastion, from the relentless attacks of the enemy.
The game features a modular game board with different regions, each with its challenges and strategic considerations. Players must strategically position their heroes, activate powerful abilities, and manage their resources to fend off waves of enemies and protect the bastion.
- Benefits & Enjoyment – One of the main benefits of Last Bastion is its cooperative nature. Players must collaborate and coordinate their actions to succeed, fostering teamwork and communication.
- Drawback – The complexity of Last Bastion may be overwhelming for new players, especially those unfamiliar with tower defence mechanics. The game requires careful resource management and strategic decision-making, which can be challenging for some players.
11) Cathedral Wood
Cathedral Wood is a beautiful and strategic abstract board game combining puzzle-solving and territorial control elements. The game is played on a wooden board representing a forest clearing, and the objective is to strategically place wooden pieces called trees and create the largest connected group of your colour.
Each player takes turns placing trees on the board, attempting to block their opponent’s expansion while expanding their control area.
- Benefits & Enjoyment – Cathedral Wood offers a visually stunning experience with its wooden components and intricate design. The strategic gameplay and puzzle-solving elements engage players’ critical thinking skills and spatial awareness.
- Drawback – While Cathedral Wood is a captivating game, it may not appeal to players who prefer games with more interaction or thematic elements.
From the ancient game of chess to modern-day games such as Small World of Warcraft, Carcassonne, and 7 Wonders Duel, there is something for everyone in the world of Medieval Board Games. The 8 games we have curated, including Gloomhaven, The Lord of the Ring Journeys in Middle-Earth Board Game, and Plunder – A Pirate’s Life Strategy Board Game, provide a mix of unique gameplay mechanics, replayability, and immersive storytelling that will surely provide hours of entertainment. So put away your phones and return to a world of adventure, strategy, and fun with Medieval Board Games.