Dalnair Castle, often referred to as Dalnair House, is a stunning Scottish Baronial castle dating back to sometime in 1884. It is located just outside of the quaint village of Croftamie in Stirling, Scotland, right on the edge of Loch Lomond and The Trossachs National Park.
The history of Dalnair Castle
Dalnair Castle, with its stunning tower and Tudor-arched doorway, sits in picturesque established woodland within an attractive parkland setting with views over the surrounding countryside and the Endrick Water.
It was originally built for Thomas Brown, a Glasgow merchant on the site of the former much smaller Endrickbank House. The Dalnair Estate is simply stunning as it surrounds the prominent castle.
The early history
It all began when Dalnair Castle was built for Thomas Brown, a well-known Glaswegian merchant around the year 1884. It was built on the site of a former much smaller Endrickbank House. In 1917, the house survived a huge fire that engulfed it completely.
At the time of the fire, the building was in the hands of Henry Christie, a calico printer, who owned it until the 1940s.
Dalnair Castle was passed into the hands of the Glasgow Western Hospital Board soon after. It was used as a nurses’ home until Killearn Hospital closed back in 1972. For a long while in the 1970s, it was used as a reliable training and conference centre for British Steel.
Then, in 2000, it became a nursing home before becoming vacant and at risk of becoming yet another ruin.
The current day
In 2016, the FM Group, a Scottish property developer, purchased the beautiful Dalnair Estate and refurbished it completely into luxury apartments. The plan is to also include construction work around the castle where a number of family homes will continue to be built.
These days, the Dalnair Castle apartments are very popular.
Dalnair Castle Timeline
- 1884-Dalnair Castle is built for Thomas Brown, a well-known Glaswegian merchant
- 1917- The house survives a huge fire that engulfs it completely
- 1940s-Dalnair Castle falls out of the hands of Henry Christie and into the hands of the Glasgow Western Hospital Board
- 1970s- The castle is used as a reliable training and conference centre for British Steel
- 2000- The castle becomes a nursing home before becoming vacant and at risk of becoming yet another ruin
- 2016- The FM Group, a Scottish property developer, purchases the beautiful Dalnair Estate and refurbishes it completely into luxury apartments
Dalnair Castle facts
- Dalnair Castle plays home to 10 fabulous luxury apartments
- Dalnair Castle is a category B listed building
- The castle has been extensively refurbished to the highest standard, with only the highest quality products and materials used throughout the development
- Dalnair Castle is often referred to as Dalnair House
- The castle sits right on the edge of Loch Lomond and The Trossachs National Park
Who owns Dalnair Castle?
Nowadays, Dalnair Castle is in the hands of the FM Group. In 2016, the FM Group, a Scottish property developer, bought the property and got to work refurbishing the baronial castle into luxury apartments.
With so many people taking up private residence in the Dalnair Castle apartment, it is not open to the public. Residents of the castle can enjoy access to private grounds featuring a tennis court and extensive lawns, and walks. However, the same is not offered to the public. Nearby, you can visit Stirling Castle, The National Wallace Monument, Holy Rude, Stirling Old Town Jail, Cambuskenneth Abbey, and The Stirling Smith Art Gallery and Museum.