|Location||Moritzburg, Saxony, Germany (Google Map Location)|
|Open for visitors||Yes|
|Owned by||Staatliche Schlösser, Burgen und Gärten Sachsen|
|Official Website||Moritzburg Castle|
|Room’s available||Yes (Wedding, events, filming)|
The enchanting Moritzburg Castle is located in the heart of Saxony, Germany. This picturesque castle, built in the late 16th century as a hunting lodge for the elector of Saxony, is a remarkable gem of Baroque architecture. Its magnificence and beauty have drawn filmmakers, photographers, and tourists from all over the world.
Moritzburg Castle History
Prince Maurice of Saxony erected Moritzburg Castle between 1542 and 1546, earning the name “Moritzburg.” Originally a hunting lodge, the castle has been enlarged and refurbished multiple times.
Its current look is primarily the result of repairs carried out in the 18th century by Augustus the Strong, elector of Saxony. It is an intriguing complex of many buildings and courtyards, including a chapel, a gamekeeper’s lodge, and a pheasant house.
Interior of Moritzburg Castle
Visitors can explore the enormous halls and chambers adorned with precious works of art such as paintings, sculptures, and furniture.
The Feather Room is one of the most famous chambers, with feathers from various birds covering every inch of the walls and ceiling. Another feature is the Hunting Room, furnished with hunting trophies such as antlers, boars’ skulls, and even a stuffed lion.
Interesting facts about Moritzburg Castle
Here are five interesting facts about Moritzburg Castle:
- The castle has appeared in various films, including “Three Hazelnuts for Cinderella,” a German fairytale film, and “Lafangey Parindey,” a Bollywood film.
- The castle’s moat is home to a vast population of swans, who symbolise the castle and its surroundings.
- Almost 800 hunting weapons, including rifles, crossbows, and swords, are housed in the castle.
- Weddings and other religious rituals are still held at the castle chapel.
- Every year, hundreds of tourists flock to the castle’s courtyards for a one-of-a-kind Christmas market.
Places to stay nearby Moritzburg Castle
Here are various excellent lodging alternatives for guests staying near the Castle:
- Hotel Schloss Eckberg: Located approximately 15 kilometers from the castle , this magnificent hotel is housed in a castle overlooking the Elbe River.
- Hotel Schloss Weesenstein: A medieval castle hotel in Weesenstein, around 20 kilometers from it.
- The Radisson Blu Park Hotel & Conference Centre is a contemporary hotel in the centre of Dresden, approximately 13 kilometers from it.
Who owns Moritzburg Castle?
Moritzburg Castle is presently owned by the Free State of Saxony, an eastern German state. The government organization Staatliche Schlösser, Burgen und Gärten Sachsen is in charge of protecting and promoting Saxony’s cultural heritage.
Where is Moritzburg Castle located?
Moritzburg Castle is located in the eastern German state of Saxony, in the town of Moritzburg. The town is located about 13 kilometers northwest of Dresden, near the Czech Republic border.
Have you visited this castle before? If yes, why not share some beautiful pictures with us!
You can email us your pictures of the castle at email@example.com. Please use the name of the castle in the subject line.
Also, don’t forget to mention your name and social media profile link if you want the credits!