Discover Burg Rheinstein’s fantasy world, an enchanting fortress where history, folklore, and gorgeous sights merge. The beautiful castle has captivated tourists’ imaginations for decades with its romantic design, hidden tunnels, and winding staircases.
So explore the castle’s tucked-away corners, savour local wines and food in the restaurant, and wander around the castle’s beautiful gardens.
|Location||Trechtingshausen, Rhineland-Palatinate, Germany (Google Map Location)|
|Open for visitors||Yes (April to October)|
|Owned by||Count and Countess of Kanitz|
|Official Website||Burg Rheinsteina|
|Room’s available||Yes (Weddings, Events, Filming, Parties)|
Burg Rheinstein History
With its origins dating back to the 14th century, Burg Rheinstein is a magnificent castle perched upon a hilltop above the Rheine River. The castle was initially built by a group of knights as a fortress to guard the Rheine river against invading forces.
Though, over the years, the castle underwent several expansions and renovations as it passed through the hands of various nobles. Furthermore, during the 19th century, Prince Frederick of Prussia extensively restored the castle in the Gothic Revival style.
Today, the is open to the public and is also home to a hotel and restaurant.
Burg Rheinstein Inside
Burg Rheinstein Castle’s interior is almost as stunning as its façade, with numerous well-restored and adorned chambers and halls.
One of the most remarkable features of the castle is the Knight’s Hall, a grand hall adorned with vaulted ceilings, Gothic arches, and exquisite carvings. Another must-see of the Burg Rheinstein is its Chapel which features exquisite stained glass windows and religious iconography. There are also various guest rooms, each individually decorated and equipped with antiquities and medieval artefacts.
Burg Rheinstein Interesting Facts
Here are some interesting facts about the 700-year-old Burg Rheinstein castle:
- The Rheinstein Castle Christmas Market is one of the most popular events held at this castle. This event is conducted annually during the holiday season and features a traditional crafts market, food and drinks, and live music and entertainment.
- Burg Rheinstein has also been used as a filming location for the 2014 hit Hindi film Bang Bang.
- The castle remains open to the public from April to October and is also available for tours, weddings, events and parties. There is also a hotel and restaurant on the premises of Burg Rheinstein.
Hotels around Burg Rheinstein
Besides the hotel at this castle, several other nearby hotels cater to travellers who wish to explore the Rhine Valley and its ancient castles. Some of them are mentioned below:
- Hotel Trapp: This hotel, located near Bingen am Rhein, is recognised for its superb food and wine, as well as its pleasant accommodations and courteous service.
- Hotel Burg Reichenstein: Located in Trechtingshausen, this hotel is in an 11th-century castle. It has big rooms, a restaurant, a bar, a sauna, and a fitness facility.
- Hotel am Schulhaus: Located in Oberwesel, this family-run hotel is a short drive from Burg Rheinstein. It has comfortable accommodations and a restaurant serving traditional German cuisine.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who owns Burg Rheinstein?
The castle is owned by Franz-Josef and his wife, Marion Count of Kanitz. The castle has been in their family since 1899, and the restoration and preservation of the castle are done under their authority.
Who built the Burg Rheinstein?
Although the exact origins of the castle are unknown, it is believed that a knight named Diether V of Katzenelnbogen built Burg Rheinstein as a fortress in 1316/1317.
Have you visited this castle before? If yes, why not share some beautiful pictures with us!
You can email us your pictures of the castle at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use the name of the castle in the subject line.
Also, don’t forget to mention your name and social media profile link if you want the credits!