|Location||Werfen, Salzburg, Austria (Google Map Location)|
|Open for Visitors||Yes|
|Owned by||State of Salzburg|
|Official Website||Hohenwerfen Castle|
|Rooms Available||For Events, Wedding, Filming|
Hohenwerfen Castle is a medieval age-built rock castle situated at the height of 2,044Ft. The castle overlooks the Austrian market of Werfen, and it is about 40Km from the south of Salzburg.
History of Hohenwerfen Castle
The fortress was built from 1075 to 1078 by the Prince of Salzburg, Gebhard von Helfenstein. The castles faced a few wars in the 16th Century. Alternatively, it was used as a state prison, and it gained a bad reputation because of the inhuman conditions reserved for prisoners.
After the Second World War, the Austrian officers were trained in the castle till 1987. Presently the castle is a museum open to the public and among its most important attractions are the rich armory, the falconry school which offers daily demonstrations, unique of its kind.
- Where Eagles Dare, British action movie released in 1968 based on World War 2. The Hohen Werfen castle was featured as the fictional Schloß Adler that is raided by a S.O.E paratroop team.
- The Man in the High Castle, an Amazon original series released in 2015. The castle featured as the Führer’s headquarters.
Frequently Asked Questions
1- Who is the owner of Hohenwerfen Castle?
– The castle was mainly a hunting base but in 1898 the Hohenwerfen burg was bought by Archduke Eugen of Austria. In 1931, the main complex of the castle was destroyed by fire and then it was largely restored. But in the year 1938, it was sold to the administration of Salzburg.
2- Where is Hohenwerfen castle?
– The exact location of burg Hohenwerfen is Burgstraße 2, 5450 Werfen, Austria. It is 40Km from the south of Salzburg. It is built on 155m high rock across the Eastern Alps along the Salzach river. The castle is surrounded by the Berchtesgaden Alps and the adjacent Tennen Mountains.
3- “Where Eagles Dare” movie is shot at which palace?
– Burg Hohenwerfen is also known as the Schloss Adler, the Castle of Eagles from the movie Where Eagles Dare. The movie was filmed in 1968 in Austria. The castle was a police training camp when the movie was being shot.
Have you visited this castle before?? If yes, why not share some beautiful pictures with us!!
You can email us your pictures of the castle at email@example.com. Please use the name of the castle in the subject line.
Also, don’t forget to mention your name and social media profile link if you want the credits!