The Château de la Roche Courbon is a stunning castle located in the French region of Poitou-Charentes. Built in the 17th century, this beautiful architectural masterpiece boasts elegant gardens, a moat, and a traditional French park. Whether you’re a history buff or simply looking to experience the beauty and charm of France, this castle is a must-see destination.
Château de la Roche Courbon History
The Château de la Roche Courbon was built in the 17th century by Claude de Rieux, the lord of the manor of Roche-Courbon. The castle was designed in the French Baroque style.
The Château de la Roche Courbon has undergone several renovations and changes throughout its history. It was converted into a tobacco factory in the 19th century and later used as a youth hostel. In the 1980s, it was restored to its original state and opened to the public as a museum. Today, visitors can tour the castle and learn about its rich history and cultural significance.
Château de la Roche Courbon Inside
The castle’s grand entrance hall features a stunning staircase, an ornately carved balustrade, and a painted ceiling. The hall leads to the castle’s formal reception rooms, which are filled with antique furniture, tapestries, and artwork.
One of the highlights of the Château is the grand salon decorated with gold leaf and intricate frescoes. The salon is home to a beautiful grand piano and several antique pieces of furniture, including a marble fireplace and gilded mirrors.
Other notable rooms in the castle include the dining room, which is decorated with a beautiful crystal chandelier and a large fireplace, and the library.
Château de la Roche Courbon Interesting Facts
Here are a few interesting facts about the Château de la Roche Courbon that you may not have heard of:
- The Château was built on the foundations of a medieval castle destroyed in the 16th century.
- Château de la Roche Courbon was home to several notable residents, including the French writer Marcel Proust, who spent his summers at the castle as a child.
Château de la Roche Courbon Nearby Places to Stay
Here are a few nearby places to stay when visiting the Château de la Roche Courbon:
- Le Gîte du Château de la Roche Courbon: Located on the grounds of the Château and offers guests the opportunity to stay in the castle’s former servant quarters.
- Hôtel de France: Located in the nearby town of Saintes and offers comfortable accommodations & a restaurant.
- Camping de la Cité: Located in the heart of Saintes. It offers RV and tent sites, a swimming pool, and a playground.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who owns Château de La Roche-Courbon?
Château de La Roche-Courbon was purchased in 1920 by Paul Chénereau, who restored the château and its gardens, which his descendants still own and inhabit.
When is Château de La Roche-Courbon open?
- Mon-Sat 10:00 AM – 12:00 PM
- Mon-Sat 2:00 PM – 6:00 PM
Have you visited this castle before? If yes, why not share some beautiful pictures with us!
You can email us your pictures of the castle at email@example.com. Please use the name of the castle in the subject line.
Also, don’t forget to mention your name and social media profile link if you want the credits!